Twin-screw granulation has been an established method for continuous wet granulation since the early 2000s. Twin-screw granulation is designed as a fully continuous process and can be used by companies as a starting point for the successful introduction of continuous manufacturing of pharmaceuticals.
Granulation with the Bohle Twin-screw Granulator
The BCG twin-screw granulator can be used as a stand-alone system, or it can be fully integrated into L.B. Bohle's continuous production line, QbCon®.
The powder to be granulated is fed onto two screws, which rotate in the same direction inside a cylinder, thereby transporting the material through the process zone and kneading and mixing it at the same time. The flexible design of the screws allows producing granules of different porosities that match all requirements for downstream drying and tableting.
Twin-screw granulator with an intelligent control concept
Intelligent control concepts are used in combination with PAT (Process Analytical Technology) such as NIR (near-infrared spectroscopy) for in-line content analysis or continuous particle size analysis, or Raman spectroscopy to produce granules of consistently high quality.
Benefits of the Bohle BCG Twin-screw granulator
- Short residence times of the material in the process (< 1 minute – a few seconds)
- Fast and efficient responses to process, and quality non-conformities
- Small footprint of the required machines and associated GMP surface areas
- Resulting elimination of machine up-scaling that is otherwise required
- Mixing and granulation in one step in the shortest time possible
- Introduction of instruments for 100% in-line quality control
- No more discarding of whole batches, as low-quality products can be selectively ejected
- Implementation of experimental test plans in the shortest possible time
Bohle Twin-screw Granulator picture gallery
Available types of the Twin-screw Granulator
Your contact at L.B. Bohle for the Twin-screw Granulator